Data Warehouse and BI Analyst (1 year contract)
A leading Investment Manager is looking for an analyst who will work on the development of the company’s next generation data warehouse and business intelligence platform.
The successful candidate will join an existing team of data modellers, data warehouse analysts and ETL developers. They will be responsible for engaging with and supporting the full end-to-end data development process including business requirements analysis, source data analysis, modelling, ETL solution design and development, and testing.
The candidate will be required to have strong technical data warehouse skills as well as a keen knowledge of the business.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Elicit and document business data and reporting requirements.
2. Investigate and document with clarity, existing business processes and source system data outputs.
3. Develop a knowledge of the existing data warehouse, storage locations and structures of data in order to facilitate new development as well as data extraction for business requirements.
4. Provide input into data warehouse solution design and data modelling activities.
5. Development of data proofs of concept
6. Validation of data models, business rules and business outputs
7. Documentation of requirements, analysis findings and business glossaries.
8. Documentation of ETL specifications, such as source to target mappings, business rule and data validation requirements, ETL functional and non-functional requirements.
9. Testing and data quality assurance processes.
10. Project management engagement including planning, estimates and ongoing feedback.
11. Bringing critical insights and suggestions for continual improvement into process and solution design.
1. At least 5 years working experience with data warehouse and business intelligence-related architecture.
2. At least 3 years working experience with data in a financial services environment
3. Experience of different data modelling paradigms, such as Kimball dimensional models and/or 3NF data modelling approaches for data warehousing.
4. Experience with industry reference models will be beneficial.
5. Strong hands-on SQL experience for the purposes of interrogating data.
6. Experience with BI reporting tools such as static reporting, analytics, and visualisation tools.
Formal qualification in Information Systems, Accounting or Investment Management fields will be advantaged.
Competencies & Personality Attributes
1. A positive attitude and a strong sense of personal responsibility.
2. Strong analytical skills, especially the ability to identify trends and relationships within data.
3. Have a keen awareness and ability to support and promote data quality.
4. Advanced knowledge of database concepts, including SQL, Stored Procedures, Indexes and Partitioning for SQL Server
5. Has strong knowledge of data modelling concepts, such as keys, normalisation and referential integrity.
6. A good understanding of the end-to-end data development lifecycle.
7. Ability to develop solutions that would be suitable as a proof of concept.
8. Hands-on problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills.
9. Good interpersonal and communication skills.
1. SQL for the purposes of analyzing and interrogating data is essential.
2. MS Office Suite, and particularly an advanced experience of MS Excel.
3. Knowledge of programming tools within a data warehouse and BI environment, such as ETL tools and reporting tools, as noted above.
4. Data modelling and architecture tools such as IBM IDA/Erwin/EA Sparx.
5. Knowledge of Portfolio and Trade Management Systems will be a distinct advantage, and in particular InvestOne, Decalog and Bloomberg AIM.
6. Knowledge of Retail Investment Client Accounting Systems, such as Oracle Flexcube.