Audit Manager: Group Internal Audit
A leading Asset Manager is looking for a very strong people person to manage the Internal Audit function for the business and Rest of Africa. This person will be responsible for the review and assessment of systems of control and procedures in the organisation in order to minimise risk and loss. This will include assessing internal controls and liaison with external auditors, risk management, loss control and systems evaluation. Accountable for the independent performance of complex audits. Work will include planning, performance and documentation of audits and the reporting and resolution of any weaknesses and shortcomings. May also be responsible for managing, structuring and focusing the work of the small audit teams. Will manage audit relationships with directors and line management in regard to audit performance, finalisation of reports and agreement on remedial action. There will be regular travel to northern Africa, the right person needs to be dynamic and have very strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence.
- Audit planning – Align the audit effort with the strategy, objectives and emerging risks of their Cluster.
- Perform overall risk analysis of the business.
- Design an overall audit plan that is aligned with the risk profile and strategic objectives of the business.
- Negotiate and contract the annual audit plan and budget with senior management and the audit committee.
- Understand sources and trends in profits and profit drivers influencing it.
- Regular communication to the EXCO members.
- Execution of the annual audit plan and developing audit plans for new clients.
- Staff scheduling.
- Guidance on risk and control analysis.
- Approve audit programmes.
- General quality assurance on audit assignments.
- Guidance during the performance of ad-hoc audit requests.
- Provide overall coordination of specialist audit teams such as IT, Investments and Actuarial.
- Provide guidance as to the practical implementation of the methodology.
- Integration with external audit requirements.
- Communication and reporting
- Rating of audit findings and obtain management comments on Priority 1 and 2 audit observations.
- Drafting, issuing and discussing management letters.
- Drafting of Financial and Risk Committee audit reports and attendance of these Committees.
- Timely communication with senior management of changes to audit plans as well as significant audit observations.
- Follow-up previous audit observations.
- Overall conclusion on control environments.
- Highlight significant issues.
- Client and Assurance relationships and networking.
- Regular discussions with senior management regarding focus areas, progress with strategies and emerging and existing risks.
- Liaise with external auditors, risk management, forensics and compliance to ensure assurance provision is optimised for the client.
- Staff management.
- Skills development and coaching.
- Staff management (performance evaluations, training & development, etc.).
- Provide input methodology and other best practices by performing the necessary research and maintaining/obtaining topical knowledge.
- Focussed team meetings.
- Creation of a learning culture.
- Achievement of employment equity targets.
- Effective successor planning.
- Departmental initiatives.
- Targets achieved.
- Research and innovation.
- To be contracted on a yearly basis.
- The Audit Manager has a very important support role to the rest of Africa Central team and has to assist to ensure appropriate internal controls are rolled out to the various businesses.
- A business orientated mindset is required.
- The ability to innovate and implement change is required.
- A working knowledge of life insurance and asset management operations are required and general insurance knowledge will be an advantage in the overall portfolio.
- Understanding of IIA standards and practice advisories.
- Knowledge on how to perform a systems review and how to draw up an audit programme.
- Knowledge of governance, risk management and internal control.
- Basic understanding of IT general controls.
- Understand the objectives and basic process flow of major business processes within a financial services company.
Qualification & Experience
- Diploma/Degree in Internal Auditing or related subjects plus 7 years’ experience, OR
- CA qualification with articles at one of the major auditing firms plus 2 years post articles experience in auditing
- 5-8+ years auditing experience on a supervisory (manager) level.
- 5-8+ years of internal or external audit experience in financial services
Knowledge and Skills
- Risk and loss control
- Complex Internal Audits
- Reporting to various stakeholders
- Coaching and mentoring of junior auditors
- Audit performance and remedial action
- Plans and aligns - Contributing through others
- Manages complexity - Contributing through others
- Business insight - Contributing through others
- Balances stakeholders - Contributing through others
- Communicates effectively - Contributing through others
- Financial acumen - Contributing through others