Business Development Manager
This is an opportunity for a Business Development Manager within the institutional space of an Investment Manager based in Johannesburg. The successful candidate will come from either a Asset Consultant or a Asset Manager with strong technical expertise and experience of financial instruments. Our client is keen to secure a strong generalist with knowledge of derivatives, fixed income and financial instruments. You will work along side the Head of BDM to ensure business growth through business development activities in the institutional market in accordance with the organisational strategy. Plan, direct and manage business development and client management activities as well as trustee education. This key resource will work closely with portfolio managers, institutional investors, consultants, prospects and clients in attracting, retaining and growing new and existing business.
Duties and Responsibilities
Institutional Sales, Business Development and Client Management
- Identifying and meeting with prospective clients to gain new business, new business development through developing and fostering relationships with institutional investors and consultants
- Managing all aspects of relationships with existing clients, including co-ordination and presentation of technical report-backs, liaising with client services and compliance teams internally on reporting and mandates and management of the on-going relationships through regular meetings and updates on the performance of their funds
- Effectively articulate the company’s investment philosophy, process, products and performance to prospects, clients, consultants, and RIAs and to differentiate the firm from competitors
- Participation in investment team activities to ensure up-to-date technical knowledge of the company’s products, investment philosophy and portfolio positioning
- Coordinate RFP process supported by the Business Development team. This will include the support and oversight of the preparation of RFP documents, due diligence and terms negotiation
- Increase assets under management for firm’s investment products and vehicles
- Provide regular reporting on activities, new sales opportunities, client focus and product initiatives to the Management team
- Maintain involvement in industry and networking organizations in order to foster relationships with the consultant community and prospective clients.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- 8 years + experience, suited to a seasoned investment professional with a strong track record within Institutional Business development and client management in the Asset Management field
- Demonstrated excellence in the field of business development as well as Strong knowledge in funds and investment products
- A sound understanding of the dynamics around the investment needs of institutional clients, product distribution, product features and profitability, and the ever changing legal and regulatory environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in the building, growing and servicing of a business.
- A relevant postgraduate business qualification (CA, CFA, MBL, LLB, Actuarial or MBA)